Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Tract This

I can't stand tracts. Let me just put that one out there right now. You know those little things that are filled with messages of God's love that we're told will bring the masses to Christ if we just give them out and walk away? Now, I guess I should say that they can and sometimes do work. If that happens, wonderful!

But for the most part, all I've ever seen in my 27 years has been people who use tracts to substitute building a relationship with someone who does not know Christ. Seven years ago, I was a college sophomore out with some friends at a Steak 'N Shake. As the waitress cleaned up the table next to us, there it was, a gospel tract and a note.

"This is worth more than any tip we can give you."

She started laughing. One of the more outgoing members of the group asked what was going on. Her reply...

"I'm already a Christian, and I make $2.30 an hour. I could have used the tip."

I guess that's why I'm so against using tracts like that. Two simple questions could have figured that information out. So we pooled our money together and left enough of a tip to cover our table and theirs when we left. It's ok, because I actually liked Ramen noodles back then :)

There is no substitute for actually getting to know someone and knowing their situation. If we're going to show this wonderful love that I claim, we have got to demonstrate it in everyday life! Then maybe people will see that Christ is not a religion, but a way of life leading to everlasting life!

No comments: