Thursday, September 29, 2005

Late night ramblings

What does a youth pastor do when youth group is cancelled? That's the question I faced tonight when I had to cancel youth so I could be available for a special service for our guests staying at the church. Not to mention we don't have our youth room or gym available. And, now that I think about it, many of our kids live on roads that are closed, without power, and in a town where usually only one gas station has gas at a time.

Not that I'm complaining. God has absolutely blessed this town in so many ways since Saturday. FEMA is here and getting people help. This morning, I was woken up by a knock on my door. It was a local policeman and a national guard officer. They were checking on the area elderly and mistook my place for my 82-year-old neighbor's. At least it was encouraging that there are people out there who care.

This past morning, three nurse practioners and two RNs from Austin came to the church and checked on everybody staying here. They wrote prescriptions for people who were running out of the medicines they needed, and supplied some samples for them to hold them over until our pharmacies get restocked.

There are a bunch of people here from Idaho. I'm not sure who they are or why they are here, but it's still nice to see them. Our electric co-op is being supported by crews from all over Texas and many other states. I've seen some license plates from way out of state on some repair trucks.

Here's a couple of links to some stories from the Nacogdoches newspapter
San Augustine takes brunt of storm in Deep East Texas
High percentage of DETEC customers without electricity

By the way... Do I really look young or is it just people being crazy? While I was on my flight to Midland, I was sitting in the exit row. The flight attendant came over, and actually asked me if I was old enough to be there. You only have to be...

15!!!
AHHHHHH!!!! :) :) Guess It's time to grow out the old youth pastor goatee again. This is worse than when a teacher tried to give me a detention for talking on a cell phone during lunch. :)

Oh well, my shift watching the shelter is about to end. Time to catch a few hours of sleep and get back at it tomorrow. Eventually, I have to plan for everything to get back to normal. Whatever normal will be.

No comments: